Sunday, August 12, 2007

Garden flowers


There is a pale-pink flower that grows in the reeds here. Its flowers are the size of saucers, and it looks like a cross between an hibiscus and some sort of mallow. Several neighbours have them in their gardens where they make magnificent feature plants.

If I have patience, I am going to wait for the seeds of the one that is growing in "my" reeds, and make some babies for next year.

If I am impatient, I am going to dig it out of the reeds when no-one is looking, and replant it in the garden.

Maybe I can find a seedling instead.

Or maybe--is this the right thing to do?--I can carve a wetlands garden out of the reeds, where the plant is already established, and give it some space all of its own. (Wellies! I knew you would be useful!!!)
(I was right--it is Hibiscus moscheutos, the marsh hibiscus, also called the "rose mallow".)

No comments: