Friday, August 17, 2007

Fury's adventure

Yesterday evening, I took Fury out for a stroll in the mist. We turned the corner of our street and saw a lady jogging. I thought she had a big dog with her, sandy-coloured, off its lead. Then I realised it was a big deer--and Fury saw it too, and started barking. The deer slowly moved off round the bend in the narrow road, hidden by the reeds. As we approached the corner, I thought I saw its tail disappearing into the property where the burned-down house had been--but no, there it was, standing in the middle of the road where it branches towards the beach.

I thought deer were shy, nervous creatures.

This one stood there watching us, twitching its tall tail. Fury strained at the leash. The deer took a step forward. Fury took a step back. The deer's tail wagged agressively. Fury wanted to play with it.

Thought it would be sensible to turn back and go home. But as I dragged Fury away, there was a German Shepherd and owner coming our way. Didn't want to find out if German Shepard and Fury would be friendly or not... I warned the lady-with-the-dog about the deer, dragged Fury back the way we'd come, walking in between her and the sight of the deer (which was now standing in the gateway of the corner house), and went back home round the block.

Fury was looking for the deer under every blade of grass. It took a while to get back home. Who said having a dog wasn't a workout???

No comments: