Friday, August 17, 2007

End of the week--nearly the weekend!



It has been damp, hot and very humid since yesterday morning. Hot fog yesterday afternoon. Some rain. Didn't clear the air, just provided more fuel to the fog farm.

No progress on deck yesterday: major progress on stairs and hallway. We now have a fantastic staircase, open on one side with columns (they support the upstairs floor), a closed underneath (big enough for the bicycles), a nook (that I can decorate nicely), light switches in sensible places (a big improvement!) and a fitting ready for my Egyptian chandelier (will be put up when all the remodelling has been finished, it has a lot of glass!)

Down side: I found another damp problem last night, after it had been raining and the guys had already tidied up and gone home. There is some water getting in "somewhere", it affects the drywall at the base of the rear exterior wall (and obviously has for some time, as the drywall is soft and crumbly). It seems to come from inside another bit of the ground floor that has been walled in behind a closet--it's where the newly-found radiator comes from. Obviously, there's no point fixing the damaged drywall until I know where the moisture is coming from and fix that first. I looked at the exterior wall, no obvious damp spots. My gut feeling is that water is leaking down behind the flat roof of the boiler room and getting in there somewhere.

I set the dehumidifier to work, and it was all feeling dry as a bone within an hour or so--but that is only a temporary measure. I have to find, and fix, this before we go any further. So another job for Frank and team I think!

No comments: