Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Toons of Syston

This is the first picture restored from the photos that Sara found in the attic. It's my dad, and his father, Fred Toon.

The first time I saw this picture, I was shocked. I think it was the first time I saw my grandad in the same way as his children had seen him; as a tough, hard man. I remember him as an old man with a walking stick, taking his daily walk across the green to the club, or sitting in the corner of the kitchen. I remember the paints that I wasn't allowed to touch--he was a master painter, decorator and signwriter--and he was always very kind to me.

The photo is slightly out-of-focus, my dad moved as it was taken, but it has life and emotion and it's going on my wall. I wonder what they were working on?

And it's being copied for all the family along with the others. Will take a while but it will happen.

2 comments:

MJ said...

I love these old b&w pics. And you're right, he looks tough but not mean. If that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

hey! no one told me of these photos--- who did the restoration? and whos attic where they in? i want an attic so i can find exciting things in them!!