Sunday, December 21, 2008

Horizontal

Woke this morning before 6 (heck, it's supposed to be a day off) to a howling, rattling wind. It's hitting the house from the east, finding every single mal-fitting window and door, blowing straight through the stoopid "in wall" cheapo air-conditioner that I never use and which must either be removed (and then the wall and siding patched), or covered (it's not the right shape for the covers they sell)... showing me all the windows that at some point really really must be replaced... I swear some of the windows are 60 years older than the house itself, must have been someone's idea of recycling.

Now the wind is carrying sleet and very cold rain, horizontal to the house, straight across the bay and the wetlands. But the streets are clearing of snow and ice,

Just heard of a man being rescued from up-to-his-chest in freezing mud in the marshes near Moriches. I cannot imagine how terrifying that must have been. Someone found him and bravely pulled him out, and the man is being looked after in hospital. Now that is one good Christmas present! (News article)

1 comment:

MJ said...

Ah, you're like the Tri-Hamlet version of The Weather Channel! Good thing I read this before stepping out. I have the same type of AC. I've yet to figure out how to remove it, and it looks super heavy.