Sunday, September 21, 2008

Deerie, dearie me

I guess they are very hungry. This is a baby, spots almost gone now, one of a family with three little ones. I went downstairs early this morning, to be greeted by Daddy Deer, mouth full of hosta, staring at me through the front door. Right in front of the door. On the doorstep.

I opened the door and asked if he wanted to come in, but he just chewed nonchalantly, then sauntered off across the lawn. Slowly. Mother deer rounded up the babies, and they trotted off under the trees. Dad took his time; he's a young guy, only two points, and seems proud of his family.

When I went to the garden center, I bought a different "deer keep off" spray, and treated the hostas. Again. Supposed to make them taste nasty. Next year, I think I will replace the hostas with more salvia and other plants that they seem to avoid.

This afternoon, the family was back again--this time in my neighbour's garden. When I asked them to stop eating her flowers, they just went to the back of the garden and nibbled a tree, instead. While the children were playing, mum and dad deer were nuzzling gently in the shade; very affectionate, very "this is my home and I will eat as much as I like here".

It's only September. How hungry will they be by November?

No comments: