Thursday, July 01, 2010

Is it a weed, or not?




This "little" gem has been growing at the front of the house for a couple of months or so. I have no idea what it is, or where it came from. I thought it might be a weed, but it looked strong and sculptural, so it stayed. Now it's about five feet tall, with clusters of slow-growing flower buds, a couple of which are starting to show yellow petals.

I know I bought something that they called a "teddybear plant" a couple of years ago at the perennial sale outside the school, but the deer ate it down to the ground a couple of days later. I don't think this is it.

The leaves are large, tear-shaped, not shiny, not hairy, green-as-grass.

Going on the theory that a weed is just a plant growing where you don't want it to grow, this one is staying where it is--even if it might be labelled such elsewhere. Maybe someone knows its name?

No comments: