Thursday, November 20, 2008

Real tile in hall!




At last, I was able to just-about save enough money to replace the peel-and-stick tiles in the downstairs hall, and the kitchen, with real porcelain tiles--and to carpet the bedroom and sitting room (which will then become my official home office).
It's almost a year (I am finding that very hard to believe, but it is--it was just before Thanksgiving) since we put the peel-and-stick tiles down: the colour was perfect, but they definitely looked peel-and-stick due to some unevenness (i.e., holes, bumps, dips and spikes) in the underlying floor.
I managed to find almost exactly the same colour and pattern tiles in porcelain! For both the hall and the downstairs kitchen! Home Depot must do this on purpose--why else would they stock the same designs in both versions?
Remember the hall had that really, really nasty vinyl tile that I managed to scrape up from the kitchen floor, but which wouldn't budge in the hall? Well... the guys from Eastern Carpet in Shirley did it. They scraped it all up. It took them hours and hours and hours, but now the real tile will be laid correctly and will hopefully last for many, many years. I'm glad I did decide to have them lay the tiles; if I'd done it myself, I would probably have cheated and laid it over the old tiles, and then suffered problems within a month. (Now all I have to deal with is a lot of dust.)
Now once again I'm able to see the nice amount of space in the entry hall.
Does anyone want to buy a genuine, nicely-carved, really-from-Holland-I-know-'cos-I-imported-it Dutch dresser????

No comments: