Wednesday, February 06, 2008

They think it's spring already

Last night, about 9 o'clock, I realised I had not collected the mail. As I opened the front door I thought I heard a strange wailing scream... but it stopped. Went to the mail box, took out a couple of letters and too-many circulars, turned to go back into the house... and this large creature was proudly walking down the middle of the street towards me.

He saw me and I saw him and we both stopped like statues.

He was under the orange street-light. Was he a giant cat? A small lion? He was orange and had a lion's mane and big feet...

No such luck. He was a big proud raccoon, lit by the streetlamp. We stared at each other for a couple of minutes, then he seemed to shrug, "whatever", and sauntered carelessly away into my neighbour's garden.

The wailing and squealing happened again during the night. It's not someone murdering their children, it's the raccoons making love. They think it's spring.

No comments: