Saturday, September 15, 2007

Osprey

I saw an osprey this morning. It has been raining all night, no-one was around when we went for our morning walk, just a dumped bag of rubbish in the road near the wetlands, and a nice lady sitting in her car near the little beach. We took the rubbish to the beach bin and the lady made a fuss of Fury.

On the way back past the wetlands, there was the osprey. He hung in the sky like a tern, then dived, then hovered again. He was bigger than a tern... I had never seen an osprey before, wondered if he was maybe a marsh harrier.... but then he dived, splash, right into the water, white tummy showing, splash, did he catch the fish? I don't think so, because he hovered again and dove back in.

Here's WhatBird information about ospreys: http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/39/overview/Osprey.aspx

1 comment:

Johnson and Johnson said...

I drove through the wetlands this weekend while I was out there, there was so much trash back there. Its sickening, I saw a full boat, a jet-ski and various piles of garbage, couple burned out spots. When we head to the beach I always bring an extra bag just to bring other peoples garbage to a can.