Saturday, April 26, 2008

Garden update

The "downstairs" border, against the north wall of the raised garden. Daffodils flowering, hostas bursting forth (why so many hostas where the deer can go??? may have to re-house some of them), hydrangeas coming into bud, and peonies yes peonies unfurling redly from the earth. All now nicely mulched and weeded (at least for now).

Couldn't grow peonies in Sacramento; tried, but they never flowered. The soil was too heavy--pure clay--and even amended, all it would produce peony-wise was about three leaves.

I hope they are scented, like the peonies in the Polish village...

This is the little corner by the stairs up to the raised garden. There's a new clematis and climbing rose in the corner, both seem to have settled in well and are green and healthy and covered in buds. The lilies-of-the-valley too have just start to show.

There's another vine growing strongly. So strongly that it makes me suspicious. It might be the wetland honeysuckly (fine!) and it might be something more invasive. I have to ask my neighbour for help identifying it.

The little bench is the one I bought last weekend, sprayed it hammered black with Rustoleum. I have a thing about spray paint recently, since discovering heat-proof paint for making fireplace nice a couple of years ago. Also spray-painted some old, large plastic plant-pots yesterday; made them look like planters not just the things you bring a tree home in. They'll be used for annuals.

I thought it was flattering when they asked my for my birthdate when I bought spray paint. A bit like being asked to show your ID when buying alcohol... (do they really think I'm that young???) Then I was behind a gentleman at the checkout who was also buying Rustoleum spray... and they asked his birthday, too. I think he was seventy. He said he was on his way to a graffiti party.


This is the border on the east side of the raised garden, the corner by the pond deck. The pansies (those that have not been dug up by raccoon, possum, or Muffin) are starting to really settle in. The daisies have put out leaves, and so have the big blue thistle-like things. If I can find my two big orange buckets tomorrow (I'm sure they were in the garage...) this will all be mulched tomorrow.

Rain and wind and cold permitting. It was seriously chilly today. Brrr....

No comments: