Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Unfrozen fishes!!!! And they have multiplied!!!



The pond is thawed! And the fish are... many. Bigger and I swear more of them. **And** some are definitely "preggie" (gravid?) with tummies full of eggs. The little black ones that hatched last year are now fairground-goldfish size. The small goldfish who survived the raccoon attack are now about half the size of the ones that didn't survive.
They were enjoying the sun and swimming near the surface of the water. I gave them a little food, and first the black fish ate, and then the bigger goldfish.
The one with the lacy tail is still there, and the white-and-spotty one, but I have yet to see "my" big guy, the koi. I hope he is lurking in the depths, waiting for a few more degrees of heat. It's too murky to see right now, as the filter and pump have been switched off for the duration of the ice age. If I haven't ruined them by letting them freeze, this summer will see a silent water run, not a noisy waterfall. Will hopefully keep the water loss down, too.

No comments: