Friday, May 28, 2010

Grab-bag

Six or so weeks ago, Brecks sent me a special offer: "100$ worth of perennials, grab-bag, only 25$". Yeah, right, I thought. But it was like those "Lucky Bags" we used to buy as kids: we knew that inside would be a couple of toffees, three sherbert-filled flying saucers, a few other cheap sweets, and something plastic, but we bought them anyway. We bought the excitement of opening the bag and finding-out what was inside.

So I didn't order one perennial grab-bag, I ordered two.

Last week, I received an email saying my order had been shipped from Holland and it might take two or three weeks to arrive. I looked on Brecks' website, wondering if there were any clues to what was on its way, but just found a couple of "grab-bag" reviews--from people who were not at all happy.

Oh well, I thought. You get what you pay for.

This lunchtime, the UPS truck arrived with a Brecks box, one foot square.

Inside I found:

- 10 day-glow daylilies (Hemerocalis)
- 5 tall hybrid phlox (Phlox paniculata)
- 1 golden wave begonia for a hanging basket
- 3 venus false sunflowers (Heliopsis helianthoides)
- 15 peacock orchids (Gladiolus callianthus)
- 10 white blazing star (Liatris spicata alba
-  25 Dutch delux gladiolis
- 2 Kelvin Floodlight dahlia
- 2 Garden Wonder dahlia
- 5 Double Sensation asiatic lily
- 10 oriental carpet border lily "starlight express"
- 3 Purple Prince tree lily trees
- and 24 double freesia bulbs!

I am very happy. Very Lucky-Bag.

The dahlias are planted, at the back, near the red-hot pokers. The border lilies, tree lilies (?) and asiatic lilies too. More planting tomorrow!

No comments: