Monday, November 02, 2009

Local election time... but how to make an informed decision?

When I became a citizen, and registered to vote, I had to declare an allegiance to one political party, there and then, that minute. I think you have to do this too if you move registration districts (rather than becoming a citizen). What this means is that in the run-up to the local elections that will be held tomorrow, I have received "information" from one, and only one, political party.

That seems totally whacko to me.

Where is the persuasion? Where is the information? Where is the data that will allow me to make an informed decision?

I would have expected to receive information from Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Greens, Monster Raving Loonies, etc. etc. etc. I would have expected to see information and data, not backbiting and insults. I would have expected candidates from all parties to come knocking on doors and introducing themselves, or their party workers to come round and give out info, especially as a newly-registered voter may need help in making up their mind.

But no. No-one and nothing but the party I signed up for. And one lonely candidate shaking hands outside a supermarket.

And this is democracy? How can people be democratic, if they don't have the information to make an informed decision?

No comments: